Hello and welcome.

I have set up this blog for family and friends to keep track of my Transatlantic Race starting June 26th, 2011. I will try to update as frequently as I can. You can also track our progress through Yellowbrick Tracking -- see links below.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Introduction


Back in May a good friend, Chris Museler, asked if I was interested in doing a Transatlantic race on a boat that he sailed on in the 2005 race (which he wrote about in Sailing Anarchy in an entry entitled “Old School”). http://www.sailinganarchy.com/general/2005/atlantic_challenge.htm

After careful consideration and discussion with my family and friends, I decided to accept an offer to crew on Nordwind -- an 86ft Yawl built in 1939 by Henry Gruber.  Nordwind is owned by Dr. Hans Albrecht, founder and Managing Director of Nordwind Capital, a private equity firm based in Germany.   
http://www.nordwindcapital.com/ 

I had a chance to meet and chat with our captain, Alex and some of the Crew (Tom, Santi, and Nico) and will meet Hans this week as we do a shakedown sail after having new sails cut by North and a fresh coat of ablative applied to the bottom.  Nordwind has been on the hard for over a week with her crew working diligently varnishing and prepping her for the crossing -- there is a LOT of brightwork on board, so a lot of hard work has gone into her.  In fact, I told my friend Meaghan that I felt like I was sitting in a china cabinet when talking with Alex below decks on my first visit with all the beautiful woodwork and cabinetry.  A VERY sturdy china cabinet. 

Really looking forward to the shakedown.

No comments:

Post a Comment