Hello and welcome.

I have set up this blog for family and friends to keep track of my Transatlantic Race starting June 26th, 2011. I will try to update as frequently as I can. You can also track our progress through Yellowbrick Tracking -- see links below.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Big Squall Ya´ll

We moved through a few pretty significant weather systems today.  We had just raised our code 3 spinnaker under 20kts, when we noticed a darkening horizon.  Alex, our skipper told us to raise the Genoa in order to take the spin down under it (standard leeward take down).  Just as we were about to drop, the winds spiked to 40kts and completely blew out the clew and 2/3ds of the spin.  I was at the mast dropping the halyard and then ran to the bow to help bring aboard the now tattered kite which was quickly being washed down the side of the boat.  Once secure, we worked bringing down the Genoa before it too tore.  All the while we had about 15ft seas and driving rain.  In all, it took a few hours to get everything reefed and tidied up.  I am pretty exhausted, but have to go on watch at 4am, so need to get some sleep.  It is currently blowing between 20 and 30 with an occasional squall.  Today was a real welcome to the real North Atlantic, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment