Hello and welcome.

I have set up this blog for family and friends to keep track of my Transatlantic Race starting June 26th, 2011. I will try to update as frequently as I can. You can also track our progress through Yellowbrick Tracking -- see links below.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Channel Fever

Ironically we have a bit of a Northerly wind tonight for Nordwind as we beat nearer to the English coast.  Not exactly what we want at this point as the wind is coming almost directly from the Lizard necessitating us to tack our way into the finish for now.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for a backing wind to help us come further North and East in order to buzz up the rhumbline.


There is a term that I have heard a few times this past day and that is "Channel Fever."  It starts slowly with some chatter about dockage, hotels, flights, and plans for when we eventually get to the UK.  It seems to be ramping up at almost an exponential pace though.  In fact, I think I head our helmsman call out "Tacking for England!" during a tack today.  Maybe a tad premature?  I think so.  With breaking the 1000 mile mark, we start to get a sense that we are nearing the completion of this race, but with 823 miles left to go, there is still a long way to go.  As John Hammel said to me before leaving, "this is a marathon, not a sprint" and those words keep coming back to me.  It is tough though as I just learned that Ashley will be making her way over to meet me in Cowes.  I can´t tell you how great that makes me feel.  Almost feverish...

No comments:

Post a Comment