Hello and welcome.

I have set up this blog for family and friends to keep track of my Transatlantic Race starting June 26th, 2011. I will try to update as frequently as I can. You can also track our progress through Yellowbrick Tracking -- see links below.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fastnet

We have about 388 miles to go before we reach the Lizard, and we have gone north of the rhumbline a bit for breeze.  We have very clear conditions so I hope to see Fastnet Rock off Ireland tomorrow.  Fastnet Rock of course being the general location of the infamous Fastnet Race in 1979 where hundreds of sailors were put in danger when they were ill prepared for a storm that hit the fleet during the race.  Many folks abandoned their vessels in the height of the storm.  Ironically, every vessel (or almost every one, I can´t remember) was found floating and in general sound condition.  Lesson learned -- always stay with the ship.  I hope we don´t see anything like that these next few days -- it is not looking like we will -- weather looks ok for us.  We are also pretty close (in relative terms) to Mizzen Head where when I was 16, I went with Mark, Mom and Dad while vacationing in Ireland on the Dingle Peninsula back in the 90´s.  I remember the blowing wind, rain, and huge surf beating that point and thinking, who in their right mind would ever voluntarily go out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment