Hello and welcome.

I have set up this blog for family and friends to keep track of my Transatlantic Race starting June 26th, 2011. I will try to update as frequently as I can. You can also track our progress through Yellowbrick Tracking -- see links below.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Coming In Hot

We are just skirting the bottom of the South Irish Sea about 80 miles away from the finish.  At current course and speed we should reach Lizard Point tomorrow at daybreak.  I was thinking today that it will be nice to see land again -- then I paused, and thought, wow... I have not seen land in almost 3 weeks and only about 10 or so boats.  I woke up early for my watch this morning, around 4:30am local time, to see the sun rise.  To my surprise, there was a fishing boat right next to us and I have to say it was a bit strange to see another boat so close and other people aside from the 11 others on board Nordwind.  It is definitely going to take some getting used to being back on dry land and I am sure Heathrow on Sunday will be a bit of sensory overload.  The sun is just setting behind me as I write this -- my last sun set with no land (or anything else in sight for that matter) for a while.  Just some clouds and a few birds.  We are finishing strong with 5 sails up: an asymmetrical spinnaker, the staysail, the main sail, the mizzen staysail (or sometimes referred to as the "cuchillo" or Spanish for "blade"), and the mizzen.  We are humming along and the plan is to pass the Scilly Islands and Seven Stones to starboard and come in hot past Lands End and Penzance to Lizard Point.  I am definitely looking forward for the finish, a bit of a party in Cowes, and a quick safe trip back home.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and get home safe! Very cool blog by the way, hope you took a bunch of pics to share with those of us who are less adventurous haha

    ReplyDelete